Richie “Hoopspinner” Isaacs gives it a spin with his Jagger arm. He lives in New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand.
It’s been awhile since we’ve done a Top Ten List, so we’re doing a Top Twenty Five List instead to make up for it. Woohoo! That’s right, we’ll be counting down the Top Twenty Five most buzz worthy posts from the last few weeks, starting things off at 25 and working our way up to number one. So what was hot in the hoopersphere lately? It’s time for all of us to find out! Here’s Hooping.org’s Top Twenty List for June 27th – August 9th, 2014.
25a. We kick things off with a tie. First up we have the new music video featuring American Idol’s Haley Reinhart hooping it up: Haley Reinhart Spins Show Me Your Moves with Hooping with Kathryn Fitzgerald and Katie Sunshine (215 Points).
25b Also rolling it at number 25 is this fun and sexy video from Honey Hoopsy: Honey Hoopsy Spins Burlesque (215 Points).
24. This cool pic of Daniel and his LED hoop proved to be delightfully other worldly: LED Hooping at Zion Noiz with Daniel Musashi (223 Points).
23. Pam got funky in her latest video and everybody got all happy about it: Pam Mayer Gets Funky With Her Hoops (224 Points).
22. Heather Hughes helped us in Navigating Circles and Creating Hoop Community with her new column (225 Points).
21. A whole lot of monkeys were traveling this week thanks to this tutorial: Monkey Crosses The Bridge with Richie Isaacs (229 Points).
20. A stunning circus performance by Mélodie captivated us: Mélodie Lamoureux’s Hula Hoop Performance (230 Points).
19. Our very own Kassandra taught us all the crown jewel of body rolls: The Contact Roll with Kassandra Morrison (246 Points).
18. Emma’s tutorial on the Foldicopter also proved to be very popular: Foldicopter Hooping Tutorial with Emma Kenna (258).
17. Some badass acrobatic foot moves from Luna Byrd blew our minds: Foot Hooping Acrobatics with Luna Byrd (268 Points).
16. Columnist Katie Sunshine clued us all in on the Stages of Hoop Love and her Marriage to Hooping (278 Points).
15. An LED hooping photo of Angelina really rocked our world: Electric Daisy Carnival Hooping with Angelina Rose (285 Points).
14. Brandy and Cheech hooped together, and we all got pretty excited: Furthurfly with Brandy Kimbrell and Cheech (297 Points).
13. This adorable photo of Sitara really couldn’t be any better: Hooping with Sitara Bird (306 Points).
12. While this beautiful shot of Leany created a lot of buzz as well: LED Hooping with Leany (307 Points).
11. Everybody loved a sublime photo of Brecken hooping in Italy: Brecken Rivara Soars at Italian Hoop Connection (310 Points).
10. The latest video from our very own Matthias left us all speechless: Matthias Elliott: There Are No Words (321 Points).
9. The Perkulator took her hoops out to do some busking and spun up this winner: Perkulator Hula Hooping at Taste of Chicago (324 Points).
8. Philo counted down the Top Ten Viral Hooping Videos of 2014 so far (328 Points).
7. A dynamic performance by Little L climbed the charts: Little L’s Hula Hoop Performance (329 Points).
6. Columnist Ingrid White needed to have a little chat with all of us: A Hooping Community Heart to Heart (331 Points).
5. Dylan’s latest video proved to be so amazing – Dylan T. Bradley: Magick (347 Points).
4. Nikki lit up New York’s Cirque du Soleil opening of AmaLuna with her LED hoops: Nikki Hunt Spins New York AmaLuna Opening (495 Points).
3. Jenny’s tale of transformation was our top feature story: Hooping Woke My Body Up”>Hooping Woke My Body Up with Jenny Hill (562 Points).
2. Our top photo was this dazzler of Lisa: Spinning Multiple LED Hoops with Lisa Lottie (599 Points).
1. And at number one we have the video that went viral – Mini Hoop Tech with Caitlin Hofer (638 Points).
Top 5 Features
1. Hooping Woke My Body Up”>Hooping Woke My Body Up with Jenny Hill (562 Points).
2. A Hooping Community Heart to Heart (331 Points).
3. Top Ten Viral Hooping Videos of 2014 so far with Philo (328 Points).
4. Stages of Hoop Love and her Marriage to Hooping with Katie Sunshine (278 Points).
5. Navigating Circles and Creating Hoop Community with Heather Hughes (225 Points).
Top 10 Videos:
1. Mini Hoop Tech with Caitlin Hofer (638 Points).
2. Dylan T. Bradley: Magick (347 Points).
3. Little L’s Hula Hoop Performance (329 Points).
4. Perkulator Hula Hooping at Taste of Chicago (324 Points).
5. Matthias Elliott: There Are No Words (321 Points).
6. Furthurfly with Brandy Kimbrell and Cheech (297 Points).
7. Foot Hooping Acrobatics with Luna Byrd (268 Points).
8. Foldicopter Hooping Tutorial with Emma Kenna (258).
9. The Contact Roll with Kassandra Morrison (246 Points).
10. Mélodie Lamoureux’s Hula Hoop Performance (230 Points).
Top 10 Photos:
1. Spinning Multiple LED Hoops with Lisa Lottie (599 Points).
2. Nikki Hunt Spins New York AmaLuna Opening (495 Points).
3. Brecken Rivara Soars at Italian Hoop Connection (310 Points).
4. LED Hooping with Leany (307 Points).
5. Hooping with Sitara Bird (306 Points).
6. Electric Daisy Carnival Hooping with Angelina Rose (285 Points).
7. LED Hooping at Zion Noiz with Daniel Musashi (223 Points).
8. A Smoky Hoop Dance Smile with Brenda Fage (183 Points).
9. Hooping Beneath the Surface with Ellen Kehoe (180 Points).
10. Alice Nimmo Spins Her Hula Hoops (170 Points).
That’s our Top 25 List and remember if you see something you appreciate here (or on any of our social networking sites), it only takes a second to “Like” it or leave a comment and share the hoop love, and you get to make someone’s day while you’re at it. YAY! Each like, share, note or comment is worth a point in calculating our weekly Top Ten. And with that, we invite you to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest if you’re not already doing so and we hope you had a very happy hooping weekend everybody!
Richie Isaacs is here with a brand new tutorial and he’s going to be teaching all of us a little technique/move that he likes to call “Monkey Crosses The Bridge”. He says, “This simple yet fun technique is something I adapted from an old nunchuku move I used to do eons ago.” He’s right about it too, it’s not too difficult to learn regardless of your hooping level, and it is a lot of fun to play with as well. Go give it a spin for yourself! Richie lives in New Plymouth, New Zealand.
by Carly Palmer
Taranaki is the home of New Zealand band The One Eyed Jacks and it is also the name of the new single and music video they recently released from their upcoming album. In the video, the band members can be seen out and about on the town with friends and family including band member Richie Isaacs who is both playing guitar and hooping it out as well! Richie, formerly deemed “the biggest ambassador of hoop love in New Zealand”, has been playing guitar with them for a few years now and his “co-star” is lead singer Chris Davidson’s 4-year old daughter, Madeline. Richie plays guitar on the beach with Madeline, then goes hooping in front of the old sheds in the Uruti Valley that are covered in the only graffiti to be found in Taranaki. As Chris Davidson puts it, “very random”!
I asked Richie, who has been playing guitar for over 30 years, why he chose to hoop in this particular video. “Hooping has very definitely taken top spot in the things I love,” he explained, adding, “I connect more with the circle than I do music. I think it’s because it is a new form of both expression and fitness too, that it is new and hasn’t had a chance to become stale like sometimes music can be, having done it for so long. Because I am mostly a self taught hooper too, I don’t watch tutorials as my attention span is broken. I don’t know what my limits are so experimenting with my hoop is never dull as there is always something to try out.” To get another perspective we also asked Chris what his thoughts were when Richie asked to hoop in the video. He replied, “I love the hooping session. Everyone does. I’m not sure people realized what you could do with a hoop!”
You may remember Richie from when Hooping.org “Shared the Love” with him in October, helping to raise enough money for him for a new laptop to replace the nine-year-old one that had died. Well, he’s back online thanks to gracious hoopers like you, and he’s putting that laptop to good use! Richie says, “I love my lil laptop, is so nice to have a computer that starts the same day I press the power button and I love that every time I use it, I am reminded how wonderful our community is and how we look after each other. It’s very humbling and smile creating.”
Video Editor Carly Palmer is a melancholy office worker by day and uber-obsessed, hyperactive hooper by night! She picked up hooping at music festivals in 2011 and hasn’t stopped spinning up her much needed hobby ever since. She lives in Woodbridge, Virginia, USA.
Hey Hoopers! It’s time for a Top Ten List where we count down the top ten most buzz worthy posts of the past week (as based on reader response), We start things off, as we always do, at number ten and then work our way up to the number one spot of the week. So, what was hot in the hoopersphere this go around? Here’s Hooping.org’s Top Ten List for October 6th – 12th, 2013.
10. Boobs? No boobs? Jess debunked the myths about boobs and chest hooping and gave us all a truly awesome lesson: Chest Hooping with Jess Wagstrom (120 Points).
9. A documentary short took a closer look at Hooping: The Subculture of Hoopers, focusing in on the community in Richmond, Virginia, USA (126 Points).
8. Hannah Stanton-Gockel spun up a new tutorial on how to do The One Handed Vortex (147 Points).
7. Andrew Ledford dazzled us with his mad skills and flow (162 Points).
6. When a whole school celebrates World Hoop Day it’s pretty amazing. Imagine if all schools did this? Harborview Elementary Celebrates World Hoop Day (163 Points).
5. Philo got the hoop scoop on how Katelyn got her hoop groove back, and it came in a very unexpected way: Floating into Hoop Flow with Katelyn Selanders (177 Points).
4. Following her class at Hoopcamp, Caterina took some time for breathing, breaks and more: Caterina Suttin at Hoopcamp (179 Points).
3. When New Zealand’s hoop love leader gets knocked offline, the community spins up some support: Share the Hoop Love with Richie Isaacs (180 Points).
2. Philo’s coverage of World Hoop Day shows just how global our community really is: World Hoop Day 2013: The World Spins (Part 1) (211 Points).
1. And at number one this week is a project we’re excited to be a part of that is spreading the hoop love in a whole new way: HOLAHUP Project: Let’s Spread the Hoop Love (303 Points).
That’s our Top Ten List for this week and things should get back to normal tomorrow, and remember that if you see something you appreciate here (or anywhere online), it only takes a second to “Like” it or leave a comment so share the hoop love and make someone’s day. YAY! Each like, share or comment is worth a point in calculating our weekly Top Ten. With that, we invite you to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and Tumblr if you’re not already doing so and we hope you had a very happy hooping weekend everybody!