With voting in our 2014 Hoopie Awards well underway, the time has come once again for our Hoopie Award Honorable Mentions list. Every year we take time out to shine the spotlight on some additional awesomeness that just didn’t make the awards this year. Some of our selections may have been panel favorites that missed a nomination by as little as a single vote. Others may have been big hits with our readers that didn’t fair as well with panelists. Still others here may just be things we truly loved this year that we think didn’t really get the attention they deserved. While only eight selections per awards category move forward into voting this year, 2013 was overflowing with visual delights worth taking a second look at, so without any further ado, here are 25 videos from 2013 and 10 great photos, our 2014 Hoopie Award Honorable Mentions list.
In addition to our Solo Video of the Year and Video of the Year nominees in our 2014 Hoopie Awards, these 25 videos remain incredibly worthy of your time and attention, presented in no particular order:
• Cosmic Hoop Love and A Song of Another Summer are two videos, both by Ilona “Lilo” Kędracka, and they both knocked our socks off in completely different ways. She lives in Parczew, Poland.
• Mission (I’m)possible took Johannah “Mojo” Birney on a super fun mission to deliver a hoop in New York City. She lives in Los Angeles, California, USA.
• Ali Padiak’s Demo had Ali Padiak spinning up something not only wonderful to watch, it was one of Hooping.org’s top ten most popular videos of the year. From Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA.
• Hooping Forever More had Hooping.org’s Philo Hagen celebrating his tenth hoopiversary, putting his own quirky hoop dance spin on our third biggest video of the year. He lives in Los Angeles, California, USA.
• Fire Hoop and Recyclable Sounds brought us something uniquely captivating with Barbara Francesquine and live music made from recyclables by Conrado Pera. They’re from São Paulo, Brazil.
• Radius with Candace Rivera may have flown by under the radar with some of our favorite hooping imagery of the year, filmed in Joshua Tree National Park. She lives in Corona, California, USA.
• Cupid’s Hula Hoop spun up some Valentine’s Day hoop love with Jon “Hoopsmiles” Coyne, Carrole Johnson, and Jaime Ramirez as Cupid. They’re from Seattle, Washington, USA.
• Underwater Hoop Dance took Vivian Spiral and her hoop beneath the waves in the Tyrrhenian Sea for some stunning hoop imagery that was truly art. She lives in Berkeley, California, USA.
• Ailona Lukiyanova featured Ailona rocking her circus performance harder than just about anybody this year in a stunning video spun to Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix and more. She lives in the UK.
• Hoops, a short film by Jordan Post, had Billy Judge Baldus spinning up life changes as Hoopin’ Bob. He’s from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
• Ghost Hoop with Mckenzey Simper blew us away with quite possibly our favorite LED hooping video of the year. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
• One Hoop One Love might have been an awards contender this year had Shakti Sunfire not won the award previously – one of Hooping.org’s Top 20 videos of the year. She lives in Santa Monica, California, USA.
• Hooper of the Corn took a year for her to complete and Talya Solomon’s hoop dance through the life of a corn field went by much too under appreciated in our book. She lives in Hadley, Massachusetts, USA.
• Dreaming in Color proved dreams do exist when Paola Berton spun one up on location, as well as in fluorescent backlight. She lives in London, England, UK.
• Lilac Attack, aka Joey Espo, lit up our world this year with glowing trees, glowing pants and glowing hoops, serving up a video that was luminous, radiant, alluring, and a little sexy. He lives in Miami, Florida, USA.
• Sade Amina Nadour’s debut hooping video this year proved Sade is a force to be reckoned with with this definitively eye catching piece of performance art. She lives in Paris, France.
• Dance The Slurp: Hooping at the 7/11 with Jenny Marie proved to be a true Hooping.org favorite throughout the year for it’s silly slurpee spin on the hoop. She lives in Atlantic Beach, Florida, USA.
• Nick Guzzardo at Hoop Convergence with Nick Guzzardo may very well be the best single, straight shot, uncut performance video performance of the year. He lives in Castle Rock, Colorado, USA.
• Baila Morena with Hoggus Hoop spun up something we really enjoyed, one of our favorite hooping videos out of Mexico this year. She lives in Querétaro, Mexico.
• Hooping For a Cause was the debut video from Tiia Ferrol that spun up a message for a cause and proved to be one of the most stunning debuts we’ve seen. She lives in Oakland, California, USA.
• Surf Hooping with Michael and Shaheen saw Michael Lowman and Shaheen Van Der Schyff grabbing their hoops, getting on their surf boards, and heading out to sea. Shaheen lives in Cape Town, South Africa, Michael in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA.
• Tribal Week on Hooping Idol was when Ashley Long took everything she learned during the competition to spin up this powerful video, one that carried an unexpected contender all the way to the finale. She lives in Lamar, South Carolina, USA.
• Hooping Fighter II and Love Thy Hoop were both super fun winners in our book this year, a kickass hoop spin on an old video game, followed by a hoop love romance for a lifetime. Both from the wonder that is Marawa The Amazing in London, England, UK.
When it came to hooping photos we think we could have seen on the awards list this year and didn’t, here are our top ten Honorable Mentions List favorites:
• This color explosion shot by Jason Mooney was taken at Flow Camp following a class taught by Lynn Spencer Nelson.
• This sunset beach portrait of Gems Goddard taken in Arambol, Goa, India, was something we really fell in love with. Photo by Louisa Dean.
• A performance photo of Emma Kenna, brilliantly captured by photographer See Ying HoopSpirit, was another favorite this year. They live in Bristol, England, UK.
• This beautiful jump shot of Courtney Mccormick was something we expected to see at awards time this year. Photo by Alison Paananen. She lives in Fernie, British Columbia, Canada.
• A beautiful jump shot of Anah “Hoopalicious” Reichenbach in Bali soared to new heights of gorgeousness. Photo by Cadencia Photography. She lives in Los Angeles, California, USA.
• Another Bali photo by Cadencia Photography, this one of Nayeli with her twin hoops, proved to be equally beautiful and truly stunning. She lives in San Francisco, California, USA.
• This ninja hooping picture of Mary Jane Schroeder not only inspired others to snap similar shots of their own this year, it was our second biggest hit on Hooping.org this year, taken by Nat Von Photography. She lives in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
• A mind bending photo of Cassandra Momah left us wondering what exactly happened in the best way possible. Photo by The Sacramento Bee in Sacramento, California, USA.
• Another LED hooping photo rolled in at number two on our Tumblr and and made us all really happy, a beautiful shot of Sylvi performing that was taken by Stephen Huang. She lives in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
• This performance shot of Zaylaa van Hoops was one of our magic moment favorites of the year, and one of Hooping.org’s top ten pics of the year. Photo by Omar Nazif Photography. She lives in Santa Ana, California, USA.