Happy 7th World Hoop Day – Saturday 10/04/2014!
We just had an amazing auction at Holistic Hooping, TrinityStarr, SpinFX, a brand new children’s book called The Hula Hoop Queen, Tim and his one of a kind skateboard hammers, body butter and soaps, massages by Kat Carter and Melinda Lundgren, DVDs, Books, mini hoops, some awesome clothes and more! We raised over $1,000! Which means we can give away MORE HOOPS!
And we’re doing just that around the world. Look for an event near you on the map page, or add your event so we can upload it to the site. We have over 125 events listed on 6 continents this year, including locations where Ambassadors have donated hoops to kids in need and remote areas of the world. Check it out and get ready for October 4, 2014!
And for those of you who are learning the WHD Dance< choreographed by Tink of Spin Matsuri, Malcolm Stuart and Beka Hoop, the amount of participants this year is staggering! More than any other year! We have 1000’s of hoop dancers around the world hooping to Basement Jaxx – thanks to The Hooping Life for bringing the stellar tune from their movie to our World Hoop Day party this year.
Please send your videos and photos to us after WHD 2014 so we can share them with others.
Ambassasorable in Mexico!
I had the pleasure of meeting Esmeralda, Kenya and Fer from Mexico – Sonora and Mexico City. Esmeralda< told me that all the teenagers who hoop are very talented circus style hoopers. Our chat at Hoopcamp got me thinking. When we started giving away hoops several years ago, many were taken to children living in poverty in Mexico. The first few ambassadors and I gave away a few hundred hoops there about 5-7 years ago to 4-10 year olds and to hear that kids that are of the right age are now hooping up a storm makes you wonder. Could it be these kids got their start because of World Hoop Day? It’s certainly possible.
The epic WHD events that occur in Mexico are some of the biggest and I have this gut feeling it is all because of the Ambassador hoop drops we’ve been able to make all over Mexico. Two of three three ladies performed at Hoopcamp this year and they are incredibly talented, dynamic and humble sweeties who brought gigantic tears of joy and huge hoots and hollers.
Tink, Ambassador of the Season!
I first met Tink, aka Kristen, the choreographer of the World Hoop Day Dance a few years back at Hoopcamp and her hair was electric pink! Tink and I have kept in touch not only because she is the mastermind behind the WHD Dance, but because she and her Tokyo hoop friends have donated hundreds of hoops to kids all over Japan.
Ambassadors of 2014
- Dee Saunders – Jamaica – 25 hoops – “I wanna go back to Jamaica! What an amazing experience. I arrived at Risen Messiah September 3, 2014. There were so many kids.” Click her name to read more and see her video, which brought a tear to my eye here: http://tinyurl.com/WHDDeeJamaica
- Christel – Marseille, France – 75 hoops – “There is a LARGE north and west African population of children that need hoops as much as any child anywhere else in the world (as much as the children in their homelands….”
- Bryna – Philippines – 17 hoops – A Peace Corps Volunteer, she writes, “toys are a luxury and free time is spent in the street playing with other children. Often times this is with various items found around the barangay (community)- string, tires or wadded up pieces of paper they use to play a game similar to hackey sack.”
- Anna – Hungary & Croatia – 20 hoops – “I have also a lot of thing to do as an ambassador here in Hungary because hoopdance is not a well known activity here.”
- Amaya – Western Sahara – 20 hoops – “FiSahara organizes activities and workshops for the refugees, and I will be teaching them about the power of hooping.”
- Elizabeth – Jamaica & St. Croix – 100 hoops – “I had to leave my favorite hoop with my friends son Enoch (he is six) to promise him I would return and he wants a black and gold hoop.”
- Sarah – Hawaii – 20 hoops – “I just got back from a trip to Hawaii, where I donated over 20 hoops for kids in various towns on the Big Island.”
- Samantha – Alaska – 100 hoops – Ambassador of the Month of January 2014 – “For World Hoop Day 2014 I plan to arrange to travel to Galena and host a World Hoop Day event for the communities surrounding.”
- Brenda – Pennsylvania – 20 hoops – ” This year we are providing gifts and meals for 320 families who are in need in Centre County.”
Become a World Hoop Day Ambassador
WHD actively seeks Ambassadors who travel to far, remote locations. Ambassadors take hoops and materials to give to children and varied communities in need. To find out how you can be an Official World Hoop Day Ambassador, visit us here: http://tinyurl.com/WHDAmb
Become a Sponsor
We survive on donations, the love of our sponsors and the will to create a world of peace. Our Gold Star, Silver Spice & Bronze Bead Sponsors all help in different ways to make the mission possible. All of our sponsors are extraordinary people and companies who have a wish to improve the health and well being of others.
Regular donations of hoops and hoop making materials are also a great help to the cause. We send materials or hand-crafted hoops to Ambassadors who can travel with them to teach locals, like those in Peru, how to tape their own hoop. Visit our Sponsors sites below and help the love go round and round!
Make a Tax Deductible Donation
Support World Hoop Day! Bring joy, peace and freedom to children around the world. Teach about love and sharing across borders. Offer the experience of art, dance and flow. With your generosity we can send more hoops and more ambassadors around the globe to reach out to children with our sparkly circles of peace.