Hooping Idol 7 Casting Call: Here We Go Again!
Hooping.org is pleased to announce that casting for Hooping Idol 7 is now officially open. It’s time to get our 7th exciting season of Hooping Idol rolling and the award winning competition that has consistently broken records here will once again be presenting a series of revolutionary hooping video challenges in our search for the next great hooper star!
Could it be you? Not sure you have what it takes? While hooping skills are certainly helpful, we all know that when it comes to audience favorites in these sorts of things that the most technically proficient aren’t always the ones that make it to the finish line. So why not throw your hoop into the ring and let us decide? Last year Beth Anne of Killen, Alabama, USA, did just that and she went on to become our new Hooping Idol, and only the second American to spin away with the title – and our ultimate Hooping Idol 6 prize package too
And now it’s that time again. Do you or someone you know get noticed for your hooping while the hoop community doesn’t really seem to know who you are? Have you been having the feeling lately like it’s time to step more into the spotlight? Do you like to participating in video contests and have some personality and creativity in your corner? Then welcome to Hooping Idol 7, a contest unlike anything else in the hoopersphere – and the biggest thing to hit the hooping world annually.
We’re looking for representation from around the globe, hoopers of all ages, shapes, styles and sizes. And given that we’re looking for the planet’s next big hooper star, hoopers that have been previously nominated for a Hoopie Awards are not eligible, with the exception of the Photo and Youth award category nominees that did not win. If you were previously nominated only as part of a group project, you are also eligible this year as well. Again, we are looking for a diverse cross section of the hooping community – so yeah, we are talking about you too!
Hooping Idol 7 Casting Call: Audition Requirements
In order to be considered for Hooping Idol 7, you must not only do the following, you must follow these directions precisely. Your ability to follow these detailed directions in your casting submission will demonstrate that you’re capable of following all of the detailed directions you’ll be receiving during the season. Again, failure to follow these directions will disqualify your submission from consideration. Got it? Great. Don’t say we didn’t tell you and let’s get started.
1. To be considered for Hooping Idol 7 you will need to bring some personality and creativity. Got personality and creativity? Awesome. As in previous years all of our contestants will be together in a secret Facebook group throughout the competition where they can connect, encourage and support one another. Do you play well with others? If your answer is yes, perfect! Let’s continue.
2. You are required to have the following in order to audition: A) a camera that can shoot higher quality video, B) some type of video editing software – or a really good friend or family members that’s got some and is committed to helping you from start to finish, C) a Facebook account, D) a YouTube account, and E) a Vimeo account. Yes, you need both YouTube AND Vimeo. Do you have all that stuff or can you get it all lined up in time? Awesome, let’s proceed.
3. Before you do anything else, read and absorb Ten Easy Ways to Improve Your Hooping Video. Do so before you even begin filming. Why? Auditions get nixed every year because of shaky cameras, bad sound volume and other things mentioned here. So please, do yourself a favor first and read it! It’s loaded with great advice and valuable tips. We want you to be able to submit the best audition you can and the judges will be bringing these very things up during the competition, so don’t wait. Get a jump on them now.
4. Film your audition video. It needs to be more than two minutes long and less than three minutes total. If it’s more than three minutes long or less than two minutes long, it won’t be considered. In your audition video include the following:
A) Your Introduction: Spend up to one minute or less telling us about yourself and why you want to be in Hooping Idol 7. Be sure to include the name you will be going by in the competition, how long you’ve been hooping and where you are currently living. If you’re under 18 years of age you also need to let us know you have parental consent to participate.
B) Your Hooping Life Tour: Spend one minute of less taking us on a little tour of your hooping life. Show us your hoops, where you practice hooping, and whatever else you feel tells us more about who you are as a hooper.
C) Your Hooping Demo: Spend one minute or less giving us a demonstration of some of your hooping skills.
Once you have these three sections, edit them together into one video.
5. Post your Hooping Idol 7 Casting Call submission to both your YouTube and your Vimeo Accounts. Hooping Idol 7 Casting Call submissions must be posted no later than 11:59 PM PST on Sunday, April 9th. Keep in mind that videos take time to upload and waiting until the last minute isn’t smart. Failure to meet the deadline will disqualify your audition.
6. Once your audition is uploaded on YouTube and Vimeo, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, the name you are using for the competition, the location you are currently living in, the link to your Facebook account, and the links to your audition video on both YouTube and Vimeo.
Need inspiration? Watch all six seasons of Hooping Idol and see what worked for other people in the past, and what didn’t. There’s a wealth of great information there so take advantage of it and we’re looking forward to a whole new season. We can’t wait to see what you come up with.
Philo Hagen is the Co-founder and Managing Editor of Hooping.org. He’s been spinning things up online and off since April 2003. Co-Founder of the Bay Area Hoopers and LA Hoopers hoop groups, Philo has performed internationally and has won Hoopie Awards for Male Hooper of the Year and Video of the Year. He lives in Los Angeles, California, USA.