Hooping Idol 6 Casting Week Begins
Hooping.org is proud to announce that Casting Week is officially open for our sixth exciting season of Hooping Idol. The award winning competition that has consistently broken records here will once again present a series of revolutionary hooping video challenges in our search for the planet’s next great hooper star!
Could it be you? Not sure you have what it takes? While hooping skills are certainly helpful, we all know that when it comes to audience favorites that the most technically proficient aren’t always the ones that make it to the finish line. So why not throw your hoop into the ring and let us decide? Last year Courtney Fagras of Spokane, Washington, USA, did just that and went on to not only become our new Hooping Idol, she was also the first American to spin away with the title and our ultimate Hooping Idol 5 prize package.
Now it’s time for Hooping Idol 6. Do you or someone you know get noticed for your hooping even though people beyond your local hooping community don’t really seem to know who you are? Have you been feeling like it was time to step more into the spotlight? Do you like to participating in video contests and have some personality and creativity in your corner? Then welcome to Hooping Idol 6, a contest unlike anything else in the hoopersphere and the biggest thing to hit the hooping world annually. Last year 9 of our top 20 posts of the year were all Hooping Idol.
What are we looking for? We’re looking for representation from around the globe and given that we’re looking for the planet’s next big hooper star, hoopers that have been previously nominated for a Hoopie Award are not eligible, with the exception of previous Photo, Youth and Newbie award category nominees that did not win. If you were previously nominated only as part of a group project you are also eligible this year as well. We are looking for a diverse roster of hooping contestants of all ages, sizes and hooping styles. So yeah, we’re talking about you too!
In order to be considered for Hooping Idol 6, you must not only do the following, you must follow these directions specficially. Your ability to follow these directions will demonstrate to us that you’re capable of following detailed directions, an essential requirement for those who will be participating. Failure to follow these directions will disqualify your submission from consideration. Got it? Have we made that clear yet? Good, because every year people don’t and we can’t stress how important this is. Now, let’s get started.
1. To be considered for Hooping Idol 6 you will need to bring some personality and creativity. Got personality and creativity? Awesome, let’s continue!
2. Things you are REQUIRED to have in order to audition: A) a video camera or some type of camera that can shoot video, B) some type of video editing software or a really good friend that’s got some and is committed to helping you from start to finish, C) a Facebook account, D) a YouTube account, and E) a Vimeo account. Yes, you need YouTube AND Vimeo. Got that stuff or you can get it lined up this week? Awesome, then let’s proceed.
3. Before you do anything else, read and absorb our Ten Easy Ways to Improve Your Hooping Video article. Do so before you even begin filming. Why? It’s loaded with great advice and valuable tips every future Hooping Idol needs to know. After all, we want you to submit a great audition so take these things into consideration. The judges will be bringing up these very type of things in the competition. You’ll end up dealing with them eventually, so why wait? Get a jump start on them now.
4. Film your audition video. It needs to be two to three minutes long. If it’s more than three minutes long or less than two minutes long, it won’t be included. In your 2 to 3 minute audition video we want to see the following: A) Introduction: Spend one minute or less telling us about who you are and why you want to be in Hooping Idol 6. Include the name you will be going by in the competition, how long you’ve been hooping and tell us where you are currently living. If you’re under 18 years of age you will also need to let us know if you have parental permission to participate. B) Hooping Life Tour: Next, spend one minute of less taking us on a little tour of your hooping life. Show us your hoops, where you hoop, and whatever you feel tells us more about who you are as a hooper. C) Hooping Demo: Spend one minute or less giving us a demonstration of your hooping skills. Then put those three segments together into one audition video.
5. Post your Hooping Idol 6 Casting Week submission to your YouTube and Vimeo Accounts. Casting Week submissions must be posted no later than 11:59 PM PST on Saturday, April 23rd. Keep in mind that videos take time to upload and waiting until the last minute results in audition videos being disqualified every year. Again, failure to meet the deadline will disqualify your audition.
6. Once your audition is uploaded on YouTube and Vimeo, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name you are using for the competition, the location you are currently living in, a link to your Facebook account, and links to your audition video on both YouTube and Vimeo. That’s it.
Need inspiration? Watch all five seasons of Hooping Idol and see what worked for other people in the past, and what didn’t. There’s a veritable plethora of great information contained within. Thanks so much for your interest in being a part of Hooping Idol 6, our search for the next great hooper star. We can’t wait to see what you come up with.
Philo Hagen is the Co-founder and Managing Editor of Hooping.org. He’s been spinning things up online and off since April 2003. Co-Founder of the Bay Area Hoopers and LA Hoopers hoop groups, Philo has performed internationally and has won Hoopie Awards for Male Hooper of the Year and Video of the Year. He lives in Los Angeles, California, USA.