by Philo Hagen
Hooping.org is proud to announce that Casting Week is officially open for our fifth exciting season of Hooping Idol. Our award winning competition that has consistently broken records will once again present a series of revolutionary challenges in our search for the planet’s next great hooper star!
Could it be you? Not sure if you have what it takes? While hooping skills are certainly helpful, we all know that when it comes to audience favorites that the most technically proficient aren’t always the ones that rise to the top. Why not throw your hoop into the ring and let us decide? Last year Esmeralda Garcia from Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico, did just that and went on to become our Hooping Idol, spinning away with the most ultimate Hooping Idol prize package yet, and went on to earn her first Hoopie Award nomination and more. She had quite an incredible year.
Now it’s time for Hooping Idol 5. Do you, or someone you know, receive compliments regarding your hooping, though people beyond your own local hooping community don’t really seem to know who you are? Have you wanted to be a little more in the spotlight, but haven’t taken the time to simply step into it and shine? Then welcome to Hooping Idol, a contest unlike anything else in the hoopersphere, and the biggest thing in the hooping world that there is. Last year seven of our top ten hooping stories were all Hooping Idol.
We’re looking for representation from around the globe, and given that we are looking for the planet’s next big hooper star, hoopers that have been nominated for a Hoopie Award are not eligible, with the exception of Photo, Newbie and Youth award category nominees that did not win. We are looking for a diverse roster of hooping contestants of all ages, sizes and hooping styles as well. Yeah, we’re talking about you too.
In order to be considered for Hooping Idol 5, you must follow these directions. Your ability to follow them will demonstrate that you’re capable of following directions. There will be lots of directions coming your way in the competition, so we need to know you can do that. Failure to follow these directions means your submission will not even be up for consideration. Got it? Have we made it clear yet how important it is to follow these directions? Good, then let’s get started.
1. To be considered for Hooping Idol 5, you need personality and creativity. Got personality and creativity? Awesome, let’s continue!
2. The following things are required: A) a video camera or some type of camera that shoots video, B) some type of video editing software or a good friend that’s got some, C) a Facebook account, D) a YouTube account, and E) a Vimeo account. Yes, you need both YouTube and Vimeo. Got that stuff or you’ll get it lined up this week? Awesome, then let’s proceed.
3. Before you do anything else, read and absorb our Ten Easy Ways to Improve Your Hooping Video article. Do so before you even begin filming. Why? It’s loaded with great advice and valuable tips every future Hooping Idol needs to know. After all, we want you to submit a great audition, and if you don’t take these things into consideration, chances are yours won’t be. The judges will be bringing these very things up in the competition. You’ll be dealing with them eventually, so why wait? Get a jump start on them now.
4. Film your audition video. It needs to be two to three minutes long. If it’s more than three minutes long or less than two minutes long, we won’t watch it. Include the following in your audition: A) Introduction Minute: Spend one minute or less telling us about who you are and why you want to be in Hooping Idol 5 including the name you will be going by in the competition, how long you’ve been hooping and where you are currently living. If you are under 18 years of age you will also need to include that you have parental permission to participate. B) Mini Tour Minute: Next, spend one minute of less taking us on a little tour of your hooping life. Show us your hoops, where you hoop, and whatever you feel tells us more about who you are as a hooper. C) Hooping Demo Minute: Spend one minute or less giving us a demonstration of your hooping skills. Then put those three segments together into one awesome audition video.
5. Post your Hooping Idol 5 Casting Week submission to both your YouTube and Vimeo Accounts. Casting Week submissions must be posted no later than 11:59 PM PST on Sunday, April 5th. Yes, we know that’s Easter Sunday. If you have plans for Easter Sunday, we apologize and suggest you have your audition submitted early. Keep in mind that videos take time to upload and waiting until the last minute may result in being unable to meet the deadline. Failure to meet the deadline will disqualify your audition.
6. Once your audition is uploaded on YouTube and Vimeo, send an email to email@example.com and include the name your using for the competition, your location, and the links to your audition video on both YouTube and Vimeo. That’s it.
Need inspiration? Watch all four seasons of Hooping Idol and see what worked for other people in the past, and what didn’t. Thanks so much for your interest in being a part of Hooping Idol 5, our search for the next great hooper star! We can’t wait to see what you come up with.
Philo Hagen is the Co-founder and Managing Editor of Hooping.org. He’s been spinning things up online and off since April 2003. Co-Founder of the Bay Area Hoopers and LA Hoopers hoop groups, Philo has performed internationally and has won Hoopie Awards for Male Hooper of the Year and Video of the Year. He lives in Los Angeles, California, USA.