Hooping Britannia

jasmyn hoops at parliament The British press recently took notice of “America‚Äôs latest fitness obsession, with cardio hoop classes, workshops, videos and Hoopster clothing lines springing up across the country.” Everything appears to be lining up for the United Kingdom to follow suit. There is hooping happening today in Brighton and Bristol, in Leeds and London.
Tom Parker works for one of the biggest local radio stations in the UK – Heart FM (West Midlands)Heart 106 (East Midlands). They’re hoping to embark on a huge station led promotion that is actually going to be centered on hooping. In fact they’re looking for hoopers in the West and East Midlands who might be interested in helping them spread the word. Check out their ad campaign featuring Christabel Zamor. Meanwhile, a couple of British television shows have contacted us regarding hoop classes and hoop groups in London for them to visit for filming, and while our referrals proved fruitless in organizing something for the occasion, it’s clear that hooping in the UK is spreading.
angie humphries Sharna Rose is one person set on making it happen. Moderator of the Hoop Dance UK Tribe, Sharna explains, “I have passed on the information to many people about the specifics of hoop making in the UK, at least the way I do it, so there must be many out there making them.” She’s also making and selling hoops on eBay UK, teaching hoop dance and more. Others like Angie Humphries, who you might remember from the Fat Boy Slim video, are blazing hoop trails of their own as well.
There are workshops happening through Gymbeat and other fitness workshops taking place through Ladies Workout Express. Marion, a personal trainer who is really interested in bringing hooping into our fitness regimen, is the force behind a Hoop Conference in the UK. Marion explains, “I teach very basic hoop classes and have got some fantastic results both for myself and my class members with ab toning. It works so amazingly well and I can tell you when you’ve had twins, you need it. The best thing I love about hooping is the fantastic feeling you get while you’re doing it: freedom, relaxed, chilled, fun – especially with the groovy beats going on in the charts at the moment. I just want to get better at this and have been so inspired by some of things I’ve seen in the U.S. that I’ve been working really hard to get Diana Lopez and BettyHoops who teaches yoga hoop dance to come over here to do a conference for us.”
According to Diana, the conference is indeed a reality. Diana says, “The dates have been set and we are now in the planning stages for our first UK hoop conference. BodyHoops will be teaming up with Ladies Workout Express to provide this exciting week long of hoopdance instruction and play. The conference is scheduled to happen March 19-23, 2007. This will be a hooping intensive combined with an opportunity to get BodyHoops Certified to teach a program that will soon be accreditated in the U.S.”
marion teaches class at LWE Is everyone excited? Sharna explains, “”I have mixed feelings about hooping certification and ownership of anything hoopy, but its happened and it is going to happen again. When I first heard about this through a link on hooping.org, I was a bit angry – especially as it is being done in conjunction with a multinational company.” So is she going to take the class? Actually, she is. Sharna explains, “I will probably go along. Hooping has literally changed my life so I want to be as actively involved in the hooping movement in this country as I can. UK standards will be a long trek and I’m probably more advanced compared to what will be being taught, but I’m trusting my instincts on this whole hoop thing – and they say go. Ultimately I want to teach mediative, spiritual and dance orientated sessions with adults. I want to pass on to others the dramatic effects that hooping has had on me.”

Comments

comments

1. Sharna says:

2. christabel says:

greeting from london! i’ve been working closely with HeartFM on their campaign… there are LOTS of surprises coming out soon! check the HeartFM website starting this sunday, and be on the lookout for me in December and January back here in the UK helping Heart make an even bigger splash!
    Yea for hooping in the UK!!!

3. christabel says:

ps. I can easily schedule a teacher training on the end of my january trip here in London if there is enough interest. Just contact me and we can chat about it!

4. Tom Parker says:

Hi all,
    I’m Tom Parker from Heart, as mentioned in the above article.
    We’re looking for Hoop dancers in the West Midlands to perform at some of our upcoming events.
    So, if you’re up for Hooping in front of a large audience as soon as this coming weekend, please email me at tom.parker@chrysalis.com, and let me know!!!
    Cheers all,
    Tom.

5. Rayna says:

The commercial was so much fun to watch Christabel! You looked amazing as usual – the whole feel of your movements and your facial expression was “la-la-la, I’m just hoopin’ down the street, hm hm hm” – so cute! I know it wasn’t your usual expression of hoopdance, but I really enjoyed it. Well done. Congratulations!

6. christabel says:

Thank you! I learned so much and feel so blessed to be a part of the campaign! Heart is a visionary company with a fantastic philosophy… “feeling good”! Exactly in alignment with what hooping is all about. A really cool thing is that everyone in the company has actually been getting into hooping personally. In the main offices, on the sets, everywhere! It is a genuine hoop craze. Yea!

7. John says:

Hi, John from the Nuneaton Juggling Club here,
    We are getting really big into hooping here in the Midlands. I am so pleased we are part of the HeartFM area.
    More people each week are joining in the Hooping at our club. Yes we do all the circus type things, juggling, unicycle, tightrope, etc, but Hooping is catching on Big-Time.
    A great big thanks to Sharna Rose for all her help, and can’t wait for HoopGirl to come over and teach a class as well!!!
    Hooray for Hooping, John.

8. 10 says:

Excellent article about hooping in the Uk. We are getting there, albeit slowly but we are. Marion is definitely working very hard to get the hoop certification and conference going. Its very exciting. I disagree go to http://www.apartments.waw.pl/

9. James W says:

There were a couple of TV shows mentioned above who were interested in Hooping – please let me know who they were as I can help with this.
    thanks
    James

10. Abby says:

Wow, hooping is just the thing we’d like to do at our ‘Healthy Living Week’ event at Bath City Farm (April ’07)! Trendy and anyone can have a go. Does anyone know of a group or individuals who would like to come and do a demo for our local families and visitors? If you have any contacts or are interested in doing a demo, drop me a line.
    Cheers!

11. Abby says:

Whoops, I thought our email address would be displayed! It is: admin@bathcityfarm.org.uk