How to Make a Hula Hoop

jasonstrauss Jason Strauss may very well be the Godfather of hooping these days. Not only has he been sharing his excellent directions on how to make a hula hoop for years, and how to make a collapsible hoop, it was Jason who gave the editors of hooping.org their first hoops the night we met him. Many others who have encountered Jason over the years have similar stories to tell. We’ve been with him many times to hear the “you taught me how to make a hoop” stories too, so if you’re looking for Hoop Making 101, start with reading Jason’s instructions.

Vera made her first two hoops using those directions. Philo followed the same plan when he decided to make a hoop for the first time, only instead of a blow dryer, which he didn’t have at the time, he boiled some water and he continues to prefer the simplicity and manageability of using hot water.

While the primary difficulty involved with hoop-making continues to be simply finding the right tubing, visit our Hoop Making archives for more tips on how to make a hula hoop, a collapsable hoop, a LED Hoop and more.

Comments

comments

70 comments for “How to Make a Hula Hoop

1. January 16, 2012 at 8:09 am

Can anyone tell me how to make my own polypro? like what exactly will i need and how to do it. are there any videos?

2. March 17, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Since I normally make one hoop at a time, I boil my water in the microwave in a large coffee cup, it takes 5 minutes, so easy.

3. lttlcndn
    April 2, 2012 at 7:47 am

I’m just getting into this hooping bug :-) And am researching how to make my own hoops due to cost efficiency. I’m hearing that 100 psi is best for kids and 160-180 psi is best for adults. All 3/4″ inner diameter.
    Tractor Supply Co. seems to have what I’m looking for (for those of you in the New England area – So far, I’ve been able to find 100 psi tubing for kids here:

And have been able to find adult piping here:

Hope this helps anyone still looking!

4. Cityzoo
    July 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Why do you not use ball bearings to balance the hoop?

5. cidneygee
    August 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Anyone that needs help finding the tubing in Michigan

You can also order it right from that website if you don’t have a gilroy’s around you. They have the couplings as well

6. Alcyoneee
    September 15, 2012 at 12:13 am

hi everyone im from México and i come 2 chicago just 4 summer vacations and i want star my own sell hula hoops led, i come 2 u because in México i dont know any person will make hula hoops led and many times i´ll try make my own hula hoop led but i dont know why always i scrub up and the material its so expensive and i wanna know tips 4 buy material here and make the hula hoop, can u help me with this ? do u know how or who make hula hoops led i will go back 2 México next tuesday so appreciate all tips i can get, have fun and nice week smile :)

7. Lyn
    January 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm

So I bought the tubing and the connectors, and even though they are the right size connectors for the tubing I got, the connectors won’t fit inside the tubing. What should I do?

8. November 13, 2013 at 11:06 am

im from the uk and want to make hoops using a pipe connector, i bought spring clips from fancy tapes, but the button is too flat once it is inside the pipe, has anyone else had this problem? its so frustrating, i have everything else but im struggling with this! ive used 20mm and 25mm mdpe tubing and no snap button seems to work