Hooping Injuries

Recently, the Hoop Loop discussion list exchanged thoughts and ideas about how to deal with hooping injuries (back pain, bruises, etc). Christabel from Circus Hoops had some great perspectives:

As most have, i also experienced the big black and blue pelvic brusies and achey hip joints during my initial hooping days. My successful hoop injury remedies have included: rest, ice, gentle self massage using arnica oil, homeopathic arnica montana gel, tiger balm, visualizing luminous healing energy on painful area while consciously breathing.
Over time, I found that I developed a better sense of where the hoop contacts my body and a more serpentine way of meeting the hoop which requires less impact … blindfolded hooping is a good way to develop this kinesthetic intelligence.
Perhaps most important for me, I brought my hoop in to a chiropractic appointment after I experienced a hip injury (he also happens to be a yoga instructor and core fitness instructor). I showed him the motions which caused pain and he was able to observe that I was not moving from my center…. the particular move was a leg lift and he showed me that I threw my whole body off balance and lifted my leg at an odd angle which put undue strain on certain muscles. He was then able to prescribe gentle exercises to help me develop more balance as well as give me an adjustment and make sure my hooping direction wasn’t aggravating the problem.

Here are Colorado hooper Matt Smith‘s thoughts on dealing with hooping pains. These were posted to another hoop discussion list, Hoop It Up:

Bi-directional hooping helps a lot. Practice touching the hoop on your stomach when it comes around. This is to develop your timing. Then, when it is touching your back (directly opposite of the pat exercise), try using the far hand (left for CCW, right for CW) to smack the hoop the other direction. It takes a little bit of practice to keep the hoop from coming off it’s axis of rotation, but if you keep the motion of your hand in the plane of rotation it’s easier than it looks.

Comments

comments

10 thoughts on “Hooping Injuries

1. Jen Ross
    November 20, 2003 at 5:26 am

Please can you send me more information on hooping injuries. and some contact details if possible for specific people with an interesting story to tell as i am a media student who has to come up with a proposal for a thirty minute documentary on performing arts injuries but it needs to based around a speific person.
    i would be very grateful if anyone could help me

2. Ale
    July 22, 2007 at 9:46 pm

I alawys put all my weight on my right leg. After hooping I only feel the workout on my right leg. What should I do? I try shifting the weight.

3. Louise
    August 7, 2007 at 7:01 am

hi, when i hula hopp for more than 15 minutes i start to get prickly itchy feeling around my stomach and hips – is this bad and what does it mean???

4. deb
    March 1, 2008 at 9:11 pm

I want to start hooping for exercise and in particular to slim postmenapausal waist. I work out 5 days a week and have decent muscle tone. I am 8 pounds over my goal weight. What kind of weighted hoop would you reccomnend? Is there an advantage to the ones with ridges on in inside?

5. Anonymous
    March 3, 2008 at 8:34 am

those ridge ones are bad. alot of my returning adult hoopers like water hoops.. must be a big one tho..

6. pandora
    June 20, 2008 at 3:52 pm

I am a beginner hooper more or less, and I’m hooping with fire (a six-wick hoop). I’m experiencing pain/bruises in my hand (right hand = hand that I use the most)
    Any suggestions of what I could be doing ‘wrong’ and what I could do better? Let me know! :-) thanks!
    ~*pand0ra*~
    taragni@gmail.com

7. Veronica Sullivan
    August 16, 2008 at 9:40 am

Has anyone ever had internal problems due to hooping, specifically intestinal issues. I’ve been experiencing nausea, and intestianl distress since I started hooping, but it could be a coincidence. Any thoughts?

8. Rebecca LaForge
    January 16, 2009 at 11:41 am

I have recently started hooping and have no problem bringing it back up from hips but cannot raise it up to chest. What is the technique?!

9. Miranda
    December 15, 2009 at 2:44 am

Very good to make your bruises go away: Arnica salve
    I had a bruise the size of two eggs, and after rubbing it in, it went away after three days!

10. joeby
    May 3, 2012 at 10:22 pm

slow hoop down , rotate hips in a slightly quicker larger circle,raise arms….x turning helps